The Sacred Heart Academy Developmental Kindergarten Program prepares youngsters who are of kindergarten age (five years old by December 1st of the year they begin school) but who need to mature socially, emotionally, academically, and/or physically before they begin traditional school. Using the thematic approach, our teachers will strive to help each child
- experience the joy and wonder of God’s creation and love
- become familiar with a school routine.
- develop a love for learning and a positive attitude concerning school
- begin to think independently.
- learn to work cooperatively with others (adults and children)
- develop positive self-worth.
- increase large and small motor skills.
- enhance language skills.
- learn and have an understanding of letters and numbers.
- appreciate different types of literature.
- understand some fundamental concepts of science.
- experience and appreciate cultural art forms such as music, drama,dance, and art.
The Sacred Heart Academy Developmental Kindergarten Program consists of teacher-organized activities and periods during which the child may choose to participate in various learning center activities. We have adopted the Zoo-Phonics program. We also use D”Nealian handwriting.
Group activities will be related to a weekly theme. These activities may include circle time, music, prayer, finger plays, dramatic plays, story time, dancing, sharing, and field trips.
Individual activities may include art activities, manipulative activities, math,science, language arts, and gross motor activities.
Academic activities may include pre-reading skills, nursery rhymes, rhymingand sound games, number and letter recognition, counting, listening, sequencing, pattern matching, sorting, classifying, science and social studies activities.
Physical activities may include running, skipping, jumping, ball bounding,balancing, and dancing exercises.